As I share my stories, my lessons, my journey, I hope to create a place that offers support to motherless daughters, Snapshots of who I have become for my children, and ongoing healing.. Stories are the elixir's of the soul. "The only journey is the journey within"


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

PETRICHOR. The fluid that flows in the veins of the Gods of Greek Mythology






Petrichor

petrichor {PET-ri-kuhr} noun
The pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell.
[From petro {rock}, from Greek petros {stone} + ichor {the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology}. 

Petrichor, is woven into the fabric of my DNA. There is not a smell on this earth, that catapults me towards it more than petrichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods. 
When I was pregnant, it was not pickles and peanut butter, or ice cream with catsup that called for consumption, but this smell....I need a rock. A fresh rock from a field or garden would make its way to my mouth. The taste and smell took me into a realm of bliss that helped me forget about my host body, and the uncomfortable stretching and growing taking place in my womb. It was a basket full of rocks that was the centerpiece of my table. I was sure that I had gone mad. I announced this craving to my doctor and was very clear that I enjoyed it so much that I didn't want it fixed, just wanted to make sure it was safe for me and my unborn child. His explanation was something like "Ive heard of aboriginal and tribal women who have this craving, it's most likely a mineral deficiency. I wouldn't make a habit of eating dirt, but the licking of rocks is most likely fine."  I was proud to have a craving considered tribal and full of pure giddiness knowing that my rock licking and smelling was a craving that wouldn't hurt me. During a rain storm, I would throw my pregnant body on the wet ground, and breath. I would take in that smell as if it were the fuel charging my body until the next storm. Petrichor is the  fuel flowing through my veins, sustaining my sanity and comforting a craving so powerful! This craving did not ever go away. I have never met a rock I didn't love, or a rainstorm that has been ignored! I know its strange, but It has a name, and a freaking awesome description. 
Petrichor...Petrichor....Petrichor.

Next time your are blessed with rain, go outside and breathe in to your body the beautiful smell that only comes when the moisture of heaven kisses the earth and releases a fragrance shared with the Gods. It's a blending and marriage of ingredients that can only be created in the natural lab of earth and her miracles. 

Carpe Diem, live consciously, seize the day!

When Heaven kisses the Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment